How do I prepare?
- Shave the whole front of your scrotum - from the base of your penis to the bottom of the sack. Electric shavers can be dangerous! A simple razor works best.
- Have the following ready at home:
- Acetaminophen 500mg or Ibuprofen 400mg (No Aspirin)
- Cold pack*
- Books, movies (to keep you on the couch)
- Snug underwear or an athletic support* to keep you comfortable when you start to walk around.
* Available at the clinic for a fee.
Right after the procedure (Day 1)
- Take an adult dose of acetaminophen or ibuprofen as soon as you get home, and repeat as directed until bedtime.
- Place a cold pack on the front of your scrotum - alternating 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off – until bedtime.
- Relax. Sit or lie down. Read, watch TV...
Day 2 - 7
Starting on day 2, the acetaminophen or ibuprofen and ice become optional. Use them as you feel you need them. Increase your activity gradually - as long as you have no worsening aches. For instance, walk around a bit on day 2. If you still feel fine on day 3, try more walking and some light lifting. Continue to increase your activity daily until you are back to normal. It is common to have more aching after you increase your activity. Regular doses of ibuprofen or naproxen for a few days will help.
- Remove the gauze on day 2.
- If you’ve had skin glue you can shower anytime – if not, wait 48 hours after the procedure.
- No hot tubs or baths for 7 days.
- No ejaculations for about 7 days.
Not to worry
Sometimes there is blood in your first ejaculations. This is normal and will go away. You may have a painless purple skin bruise near the procedure site from small blood vessels in the skin. These can stay small, or can spread over the whole scrotum. This is not serious and will fade over time. The glue that dries on the skin will flake and fall off within days. This is normal - leave it alone.
Testing after vasectomy
Wait about 7 days for your first ejaculation. After that, ejaculate as often as you can manage over the next 3 months in order to get to zero for your first lab sample.
Once your three months have passed, book a drop-off appointment online at Flowlabs.ca
Use the instructions on your requisition, and bring the sample and requisition to Flowlabs Kingston:
1473 John Counter Blvd., Suite 202.
If you live outside of Kingston, you can use the same requisition at any Lifelabs. Check www.lifelabs.com or call them at 1-877-849-3637 to find a lab near you.
Call or text me
- If you feel a lump larger than an almond that is really sore.
- If your pain is increasing in spite of rest, ice, and ibuprofen.
- If you have any other questions or concerns.
Mobile 613-888-1867 (leave a message if I don't pick up)